Joshua Lisec is the president and founder of The Entrepreneur’s Wordsmith LLC. Their main services include ghostwriting, copywriting, and content marketing. I was intrigued by the ghost-writing process, and found that he had a lot of expertise in this area. I also enjoyed his take on the idea that at any given time, over 90% of your potential customers aren’t actively shopping for your product, and how you can solve that problem with “Influential Copy.” As for how to create Influential Copy, he shares his 6 Cs of Influential Copy in some detail. You can find a link to his infographic in the show notes.
- What is copywriting
- The customer’s journey
- The work he does with content marketing
- What is ghostwriting? Acting in print. He captures the personality and voice of the brand and business owner.
- At any given moment, 9/10 of your potential customers are not actively shopping for your product but…
- …“9/10 customers have a problem or goal…that your product or service can help them solve or achieve”
- The mistake 95% of businesses are making in their marketing, and how to fix it.
- “Influential means you read it, and you want to take action”
- “If you want to motivate the right action, you need to use the right words”
- “The general mass market is not going to take them seriously as a thought leader, unless they have a book.”
- A lot of books just have the “what.” Give the “how” via testimonials and social proof.
- 6 Cs of Influential Content
- Credibility – establish authority in the space
- Connection – how you will help them get to their goals
- Compelling – arouses emotion
- Counter-Industry – take an anti-BS stance
- Call to Action – invite them to learn more
- Circulation – get it out in front of people
- Include link to 6Cs info graphic in the shownotes
- His origins as a ghostwriter, how he became the “go-to” guy and built a career
- Don’t compete for the same 10% as everybody else, convert that 90% for better success.
- How he markets his own business: Referrals from happy customers, and marketing that follows the 6 Cs. Plus, an example of how he does this.
- How to effectively re-use content, and the common mistakes people make in doing so
- Vary article length according to your purpose
- Advice for entrepreneurs: be willing to figure out, “will someone pay me for this” and do so occasionally in an unglamorous, barely profitable way.
Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook” by Gary Vaynerchuk for the fundamentals of social media
To hire Joshua, head over to joshualisec.com for all your ghostwriting, copywriting, and content marketing needs. There are too many takeaways to enumerate here, so I’ve shared my notes in the shownotes. You can also find them at nicholaspihl.com/joshua-lisec
Music for this podcast is by Cambrian Explosion, who spent an entire autumn as toads after encountering a vindictive sorceress. Fall isn’t a bad time to be a toad though, so for them, it was actually a pretty good experience. They’re back to normal and working on a new album as I speak though, so check out their work at cepdx.bandcamp.com and on Apple iTunes and Spotify.
For more podcasts like this, make sure you are subscribed in your podcast app. I’ve got a couple exciting ones coming down the pipeline including the founder of marijuana business daily (which is like the Wall St. Journal of the weed industry), as well as the founder of Plastic Technologies, who is responsible for all kinds of things that touch your life day to day. You can check out past episodes under Why Try, and at nicholaspihl.com, where you will also find a few articles about entrepreneurship and investing, as well as book recommendations, and recipes for delicious food. Thanks for listening.